Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Adventures Galore

I have been riding the wave lately in terms of job progress and finally got over a serious valley. But now that the harder part is over, what does that leave? No more crying to strangers on the street while drunk? No more crying God for what seems to be my perpetual self- destructive lot in life? I often wonder if I am just one of those people who functions best when things are hard because I thrive having things to complain about or keep me interested by the constant challenges.

I found this company called The Adventurists who "fight to make the world less boring". They hold competitions mostly in India and South America by mongol or rickshaw that benefit charity. It sounds like something I would sign up for if I had the cash. They romanticize and idealize an experience that could be potentially fatal. On a single HTML page I managed to find a warning.
"These adventures are genuinely dangerous things to do. The website is written in a light-hearted fashion but you cannot underestimate the risks involved in undertaking this kind of adventure. Your chance of dying can be very high, some past teams have been seriously injured. These adventures are not a glorified holiday. They are an adventure and so by their very nature extremely risky. You really are on your own."

What if every adventure in life came with a label like this? The bad boyfriend, the no-end job, the school that isn't worth the money, or just the everyday ways in which we make our lives more interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment