Saturday, February 26, 2011

Daft Coke

Now that my department has permanently moved into the city, I get some of the insta-joys that come with living in the city: access to awesome things, encouraging randomness, lots of weirdos on the train. The last time I worked in the city it meant lots of bar trips. The entire block of Jeweler's Row is full of Pop-Up galleries right now, but that amusement can only last so long.

Drinking in the Loop

It's a disaster trying to get anything decent cocktail wise in the loop. Palmer House made a good attempt, but the food at Lockwood was a rip. I'm disappointed there's not a better option that doesn't involve Elephant & Castle. The Gage is always good, but you're likely to get your purse stolen than finding a seat there.

It's Chicago Restaurant Week-- and although it's an awesome idea and I realize the department of tourism is putting this together-- where are the cocktails? I don't need daily prixe fixe meals. This is Chicago! We attach upscale to words like "hot dog" or "pizza". I need to know where I can get my dream drink on.

The past few experiences I have had epicuranean wise have been disappointing to say the least. Bangers and Lace? Do you want to pay $20+ for a sausage? Yeah, I'll take the red hot please. Sable has got some amazing cocktails, but then you start with the dates and creme brulee corn and leave feeling like you dropped a salt shaker down your mouth.

I can't wait for the day I open up my own place and just have all the bottles look as cool as the ones Daft Punk designed for Coke. I should have known Colette was getting involved with this as well. Bring these to sale in Chicago!



No comments:

Post a Comment